May has started, and we are already looking forward to ALL the vacations! If you’re about to head out of town, complete this checklist before you pack up your beach towels and swimsuits. A lot can happen to your home when you’re gone, and we want to set you up for success! That way when you come back, it’s one less thing to worry about.
Save this checklist so you can travel this summer with ease!
- Turn up the temperature
- We recommend setting your thermostat between 78-80 degrees in the summer, so that the AC isn’t wasteful while you’re gone!
- Unplug Appliances
- Unplug any unnecessary appliances. Not only will this protect your appliances if a surge were to happen, but it can also save energy. Some appliances take up five to six watts per hour–no need to use that energy!
- Leave a light on
- Having a well-lit interior is the top way to keep intruders out of your home. You can have an electrician install timers in your light switches, or you can buy some for your lamps. There are also day/night sensors that you can add to flood lights that will switch them on and off.
- Clean out your fridge and trash
- There is nothing worse than coming home to rotten food and stinky trash. In the days leading up to your trip, plan meals around the food that will expire first!
- Check all the windows and doors
- It may seem obvious, but this is the most crucial step! Make sure you haven’t left any seldom-used doors or windows unlocked or cracked open.
Need help purchasing a vacation home? Call The Dorman Group at 251-656-5758. Ready to purchase your perfect property? Give us a call to tour our best listings!